- Large heart shaped cookie cutter (or your favorite shape!)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 portion pie dough (you can make your own, use a store bought dough, or use pizza dough!)
- Seasonal fruits and/or berries (for pie-filling)
- Small bowl flour
- Small bowl egg-wash or cream (to brush on top of pies)
- Sugar to sprinkle on top of pies (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto your workstation to avoid the dough from sticking.
- Using your fingers or a rolling pin, flatten the dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick and cut 2 portions of your favorite shape. (You’ll need 2 portions for 1 hand-pie)
- Place a small amount of berries in the center of 1 portion of your dough. (careful not to overfill)
- Brush the outside edge with cream or egg wash then cover with the second portion of dough. (to make egg wash: crack an egg into a bowl and beat it thoroughly with a fork, add 2 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt and mix until combined)
- Using a fork, crimp the edges of your hand-pie to seal it shut and brush the tops with the remaining egg wash/cream.
- Poke several small holes in the top of each hand pie to create steam vents and transfer the hand pies to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the hand pies are golden and the filling is bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve warm.