Banish the boxed and premade sauces by making your own to boost nutrition and freshness.
Makes 4-6 servings. Serving Size: 1-1/2 cup
- 2-1/2 cups dry whole wheat pasta noodles (macaroni, rigatoni, etc.)
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Steam sweet potato until tender about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool 2 minutes, then blend in food processor with ¼ cup milk until smooth.
Cook pasta in boiling water for 5-7 minutes until al dente, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, toss cheeses together in small ball and set aside.
In large oven-proof pot, sauté garlic with butter over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes. Whisk in flour, turn heat down to medium, and cook another 1-2 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly incorporate remaining ¾ cup milk and cook a few minutes more until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add sweet potato, and mix until well combined.
Stir in pasta, chopped greens, spices, and 1 cup of cheese mixture. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese has browned on top.